|Name||Blackfriars Road Bridge, London|
|Owner||Maintained by the City Bridge Trust for City of London Corporation.|
|Contractor||P. A. Thom & Co.|
|Where||Central London over the River Thames carrying the A201.|
|Latitude||N 51 30' 35"|
|Longitude||W 0 06' 16"|
|Why||The first road bridge was opened in 1769 and named the ‘Pitt Bridge’ after William Pitt.
The existing bridge is one of the busiest of the four road bridges in the City.
The Blackfriars Rail Bridge is close by.
|Width||32 m. - widened from 21 m. in 1910.|
|Spans||Five spans of 53.3 m. to 56.3 m.|
|Materials||Wrought iron arches||How to read a bridge||Read more about arches.....
Read more about the book metaphor.....