|Name||Golden Gate Bridge San Francisco, California, USA|
|Owner||Golden Gate Bridge & Highways District for State of California
The bridge was created through a special act of the state legislature in 1923
|Design||Joseph B Strauss - Chief Engineer|
|Consultants||Leon S Moisseiff, O H Amman, Charles Derleth Jr|
|Contractors||Main Piers: Pacific Bridge Company
Anchorages & Approach Piers: Barrett & Hilp.
Cables: John A Roebling Company
Steel: Bethlehem Steel Company
|Latitude||N 37 49' 11"|
|Longitude||W 122 28' 43"|
|Why||US Highway 101 connects the City & County of San Francisco with Marin County|
|Spans the Golden Gate||the opening of the San Francisco Bay to the Pacific Ocean|
|What||Read some more details.....||How to read a bridge||Read more about suspension bridges.....
Read more about the book metaphor.....
|Overall type||Hanging - Suspension Bridge. Read more about suspension bridges.....|
|Width||27 m. - 6 lanes traffic|
|Spans||Main span: 1,280 m. Each side span: 343 m.|
|Clearance above high water level||67 m.|
|Height of tower||227 m.|
|Cables||2 main cables: 0.92 m. diameter.
No of wires in cable: 27,572
Diameter of wire: 5 mm.
Number of strands in each cable: 61
Suspenders: 250 pairs of ropes each mm. diameter (all were replaced in 1972-76)
|Retrofit programme 2001 - 2012 for seismic shock||Study initiated immediately after 1989 earthquake.
Need to retrofit for earthquakes of Richter magnitude 7 or above.
Phase 1 1997-2002 - strengthening together with installing of isolator bearings, expansion joints. 4 support towers replaced during continuous traffic flow.
Phase 2 2001-2008 - replacing support towers, anchorage housing plus new shear walls, installing isolation bearings and joints, adding new steel plating, new bearings and energy dissipation devices and isolation joints.
Phase 3 2008-2012 - strengthening foundations, installing piles and rock bolts, shear walls and other structural modifications.
|Appearance||Famous for its red appearance officially called "international orange".
Art Deco form by architects Irving F Morrow.